Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Second Week In Bakersfield

Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 11:51:18 -0700
Subject: Second Week In Bakersfield
From: samuel.crapo@myldsmail.net

Hello Family And Friends!
 
So it was the second week in Bakersfield and things are still going great!  I love this area A LOT! I'm really interested to see what president will do for transfers.  I'm usually the one who stays for 6 months! I could finish my mission off here.  But who knows.  The weather is great! its Usually 103 or hotter... so its not too bad.  I really like it actually.  Sure you get sweaty and stuff on the bike but it makes me feel so good.  So much better than the cold!
 
So last week i texted John and Michelle King up in tehachapi.  They were the investigators i loved so much. I texted them to tell them if they are ever in Bakes to look me up because its super close and John Said that they are BOTH getting baptized August 4th.  I begged President to let me go up to tehachapi to watch the baptism but he said no... Lame.  but still they got baptized. I was so stoked to hear about that.  They say they will let me know when they are in bakersfield! I would be so excited to see them.
 
Last p-day was kind of lame.  We have to do our email at the library because the Family history center is pretty much shut down at the moment.  The library stinks because i cant hook up my camera and send pictures or plug in my disk and copy pictures you guys send (thanks simon and stuart). But i will try really hard to get them when i can.  I love having pictures.  The p-day was ok though.  Not much to do when the only other elders in your district live an hour and a half away.  And the other two are sisters... So we did play basketball at the church after email.  It was fun. but it stinks knowing we cant all get together each monday.
 
We dont have too many investigators in the area but everyone here is SO NICE.  Its either REALLY nice or REALLY mean.  ha ha.  So for the most part you block out the mean and remember the nice.  So its easy to tract because everyone is usually friendly.  But like most people. They arent interested. 
 
We've met a lot more members this plast week and they are all really cool.  I like this ward a lot.
 
Our area goes out pretty far but there is usually no need to go out as far as it goes but on the last elders progress record there was a family on there that lived pretty far out.  Well we didnt have much to do so we went and saw them.  It was hot and it was probably just a 4 or 5 mile bike ride but it felt like a really long one.  The heat just takes it out of you.  But the guy pulled up RIGHT as we were about to leave.  He is a trucker and he was really cool. 
 
Hmmmm... What else happened this week?
 
We met two families this week who both have kids who are getting baptized.  Both REALLY cool  families.  Brother Nancett is one of them and he said that when he was 8 he was baptized by an Elder Crapo.  In San Demas.  So if somone can look into that for me and let me know that would be REALLY COOL!
 
We also talked to another family.  Big Samoan family and their daughter was baptized this week too.  We got to go the baptisms.  There were like 5 kids being baptized and the Samoans relatives filled the whole chapel.  We were invited to their house after for a Luaua at their house.  It was great.  Party up front had a whole bunch of them drinking and smoking but they were so happy to see us and then led us to the back where everyone was swimming.  They fed us SO MUCH FOOD.  It was crazy.  But so delicious.  Those people were so stinking nice!
 
We also went to the Nancetts after that.  They had a big water slide they had rented.  And we talked with them for a while.  They too are so awesome!
 
We also go to teach an investigator this week.  He was really cool.  A high school coach.   He also played football in college.  He's only been taught once and he really likes what we have to teach.  He's hard to get a hold of because he is so busy but i could totally see him progressing.
 
Hmmmmmm.... I think that is pretty much it that happened for this week.  Me and my companion get along pretty well.  He's quite the talker.  Talks pretty fast too, typical New York kid ya know? He's very outgoing and is fun to be around.  Its crazy to see how i have changed the way i look at my companion.  I feel like such a baby when i look back at my old emails about how i used to complain so bad about all the things they did wrong.  Its so easy to just shrug that stuff off now and just see the good in each companionship.
 
Anyways i hope you guys are doing great!  I love you lots and will talk to you next week!
 
Love
 
Elder Samuel Crapo

1 comment:

  1. "Brother Nancett is one of them and he said that when he was 8 he was baptized by an Elder Crapo. In San Demas. So if somone can look into that for me and let me know that would be REALLY COOL!"

    I KNOW who that Elder Crapo was!! It's my husband's youngest brother. He remembers the baptism and this person well. PLEASE contact us. Our Elder Crapo would love to get in touch with this Brother Nancett. I have a phone number for you as well, for him to call. This is just SOoooo cool! And it most definitely is NO coincidence. Please pass on all my messages to Sam Crapo. Hopefully Sam is still in contact with this Brother Nancett. I have also contacted Stu Crapo. I've been reading his blogs for a few years. I just realized that he also is related to this Sam Crapo in someway...as his comments are on this blog. This is just amazing. ; ) Hope to hear from Sam or whomever is running this blog, soon. THanks!

    Lynn Crapo
    crapo@shaw.ca
    Calgary Alberta

    ReplyDelete