Tuesday, October 16, 2012

South Bakersfield

Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 12:44:01 -0700
Subject: South Bakersfield
From: samuel.crapo@myldsmail.net

Hello Family And Friends,
 
This is Elder Crapo reporting from my new area in South Bakersfield! I love it here already..  The first couple days here me and my companion both felt so welcomed.  Everybody, members and non members are really nice.  I think the only person that doesnt like us is our neighbor across the way.  He has a huge Prop 8 sign in his window, it faces our apartment to torment us.  Other than that its great.  Our apartment is huge.  Used to be a 4 man but now me and my comp live here.  We have a room for sleep, a room for studies.  Our own bathrooms.  A huge garage.  Nice Kitchen and Family room.  It needs more elders though.  It could be a lot of fun ha ha.  I still get the homesick feeling when i think about the other elders in my last apartment or when i think about my last area.  I get so dang attached to my areas!  6 months is a long time to stay in EACH area.  But i'm so glad this ward warmed up to us really fast.  Its been SUPER DUPER hot and that was to be expected.  I really like the heat though... The air is just bad... Really bad.  There is always a bad haze here.  We did a lot of walking at first because my companion Elder Fernandez didnt have a bike.  So the days were flying by walking everywhere.  But he finally has a bike and we are able to get a lot more done.  I like Elder Fernandez a lot.  He's a way cool kid.  He served with Elder Stephenson for 3 transfers and me and elder Stephenson got along really well in Simi Valley. Elder Fernandez is a city boy but he's way chill.  He's from Manhattan, New York.  Cant get much more city than that.  He played pretty much the same sports as me in high school and he also did Mixed martial arts when he was back home.  So he's going to teach me how to fight a bit.  It'll be sweet.  We have had a hard time getting in touch with a map and a ward directory so the first week we were trying to get that all figured out.... never really got one.  So by sunday we got the map and the directory and now we are ready to go. 
 
This area is supposed to be really good for baptisms.  They say  they usually get Monthly Baptisms.  Right now its a little slow because of the summer.  But i'm sure things will pick up now that we are all ready with our bikes and maps and stuff.
 
This white wash was a lot easier.  There wasnt as much stuff going on here to have to follow up on  so we can start fresh and  this area is tiny so we dont really need a GPS to get everywhere.  Just a map will do. 
 
We had a good ride down.  Actually the mission doctor took us home.  Brother Moyes.  He's a crazy guy.  He actually took us out of our mission for lunch at five guys.  In santa Clarita.
 
We've been having to do a lot of shopping.  Getting new things to get situated and stuff.  Lots of members see us on the street and pick us up and take us places which is great! 
 
We have found some opportunities to do service already.  Just little stuff though.  Moving Boxes. Weeding :( and little things like that.
 
We've met some really cool families. One in Particular, the Durrants.  They just moved from Vegas and Brother Durrant is a ward missionary.  Really cool family. 
 
Hmmm.... What else can i tell you?  What else do you want to know?  I think i'm just going to do emails like this from now on.  Still somewhat long but not the day to day thing.  I just cant keep up with that plus i bet my emails are really boring... Dylan is probably saying "FINALLY HE UNDERSTANDS" ha ha.  But i am just out of the habit of keeping a journal... and i'm always forgetting things....  The past 6 months went by so fast and the days go by SO FAST that i cant even remember what i've been doing day to day.... Its too hard.
 
Anyways we have about 3 good investigators.  We've met one of them and hopefully can meet the others this week.  They all seem pretty golden from what it looks like. 
 
Anyways if there is anything you can do for me it would be to write me.  I never get enough Mail :) 
 
I could always use pictures.  I LOVE getting pictures either in the mail or through email.  doesnt matter JUST SEND SOME!!! 
 
I could use some stamps? ha ha i'm running out!
 
Anyways thats about it... I love you guys a lot and miss you tons!  I cant believe i only have 6 1/2 months left....  I'm getting scared beceause everyone keeps telling me i'm super old in the mission.... I used to say that about people who had been out as long as i have too.  I feel like i dont know ANYBODY in the mission anymore.  Everyone i know has gone home now ha ha.  I Am old.  Everyone keeps telling me that the last six months are the fastest too! AGH! I'm nervous!
 
Well  i love you guys i already said all this so..... BYE
 
Love,
 
Elder Samuel Crapo

No comments:

Post a Comment